ページ

2021-07-26

Summer greeting 2021

Hi, friends. How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. 

Summer has come. It got so hot that it's like everyday is perfect for laundry just after this year's long rainy season ended. I'm now surrounded with loud voices of cicadas. 

Every year, large brown cicadas begin singing at first. Hearing their voices makes me think that summer is coming. Around this time, Japanese bush warblers, birds telling spring arrival, come to sing less often. I can still hear one or two of them singing in the morning and in the evening, when it gets cooler. I miss them and wonder how long I can hear their voices this year.  

This morning, I heard min-min-zemi cicadas(robust cicadas) voice for the first time this year and thought that the height of summer is coming. Earlier than that, tsuku-tsuku-boshi cicadas (meimuna opalifera) began singing and I've already heard "kana-kana-kana-kana ..." voices of evening cicadas in the evening. I had thought that they began singing later than robust cicadas in the late summer, so I found it somewhat irregular this year. When it gets a little cooler in the evening, hearing kana-kana-kana-kana singing soothes me.  

Though it's hot, I feel summer here is easier than summer in Tokyo. When I lived in Tokyo, hot air stayed still in the evening and morning. It was impossible for me to sleep without turning on an air conditioner. Now, thanks to abundant greens in my place, it's cool in the morning and evening and the cool breeze is refreshing.   

That said, it won't do to try to resist this excessive heat. When it's unbearably hot, to avoid getting heatstroke, I get through days with using air conditioner at moderate temperature. As this rainy season lasted longer than usual, I feel this summer is shorter. I would like to enjoy things that can be enjoyed only in the summer. 

Take care and have a fantastic summer. I'll write again some time. Bye!