ページ

2021-11-20

2021 November greeting

Hi, friends. How have you been recently? More than half a month has past and the winter solstice will come in less than a month. How fast time flies.

As it has been warmer than usual this year, leaves of momiji maple tree in my garden were still green earlier this month, but they have gradually turned red these days. Yuzu citrus fruits in my garden had slight yellow tint a few days ago, but now, they are eye-catching vivid yellow.

Harvesting yuzu is my annual enjoyment around the winter solstice. Thankfully, the tree bore a lot of fruits this year, too. I make ponzu mixing squeezed yuzu juice and soy sauce in equal quantities. The peel will be cut into strips to be preserved in honey and to make jam, or used as bread yeast.

The seeds can be soaked in alcohol to make tincture. Yuzu seed tincture can be used as a face lotion by diluting it with water or herbal distilled water. I have heard that it is said to be good for in whitening and moisturizing. The seeds can be also used to make tea by roasting them. I have seen mixed tea products containing roasted yuzu seeds. I would like to try it too, this year.

Though I am not so fond of cold weather, after the cold temperature repels mosquitoes, it is a pleasure that I will be able to spend longer time outside. I can take care of herbs in my garden, pick yomogi japanese mugwort to make its dried tea, or bake sweet potatoes in a bonfire. Sometimes, in winter, I can spend calm and relaxed hours with stewing beans or doing some needlework while warming at an oil heater. This is also a precious time.

It is another pleasure when I find some signs of spring such as small sprouts of spring plants coming out from the ground. What are your favorite things to do in winter? I hope you all have a happy and warm winter. Take care.